Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
FSSAI was established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 by integrating various acts & orders that have handled food related issues in various Department. FSSAI was created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human needs.
Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006
Various central Acts like Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954 , Fruit Products Order , 1955, Meat Food Products Order , 1973, Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order, 1947,Edible Oils Packaging (Regulation)Order 1988, Solvent Extracted Oil, De- Oiled Meal and Edible Flour (Control) Order, 1967, Milk and Milk Products Order, 1992 etc was repealed after commencement of FSSAI , 2006.The Act was adopted to establish a single point control for all matters relating to food safety and standards. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and the State Food Safety Authorities shall enforce various provisions of the Act.
Documents required for FSSAI State and Central License
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
- List of Directors/Partners/Proprietor/Executive Members of Society/Trust with full address and contact details (mandatory for companies only)
- Name and List of Equipments and Machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
- Photo I.D and address proof issued by Government authority of Proprietor / Partner / Director / Authorised Signatory.
- List of food category desired to be manufactured. (In case of manufacturers)
- Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspections, collection of samples, packing & dispatch. (for manufacturers / processors)
- Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized/ public health laboratory to confirm the portability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing units only).
- Proof of possession of premises. (Sale deed/ Rent agreement/ Electricity bill, etc.) (optional)
- Partnership Deed/Affidavit of Proprietorship/Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm
- NOC from manufacturer (mandatory for relabellers and repackers only)
- Food Safety Management System plan or certificate (if any)
- Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centres etc. in case of Milk and Milk Products processing units.(wherever applicable)
- Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (wherever applicable)
- Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged Mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognised/ public health laboratory
Documents Required for Registration Certificate
- Photo of Food Business Operator
- Document for Identity Proof like Ration Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card, Department Issued ID
- Supporting Documents (if any):- NOC by Municipality/Panchayat, Health NOC